Michael J. Fox is one of the most recognizable faces in Hollywood. The Canadian-American actor rose to fame after starring in films like Back to the Future and Spin City, but there is much more to his story than just acting. The acerbic comedian has lived a life full of secrets and unknowns. Here are 10 captivating facts about Michael J. Fox that you may not have known before:
1. He started his career at age 15 — By the age of 15, Michael J. Fox was already appearing in commercials and had a few TV roles under his belt. He then went on to star in some memorable movies like Teen Wolf, Doc Hollywood and The American President.
2. His middle initial is an homage to his hockey idol — Growing up as a Canadian, Michael was a big fan of hockey legend Gordie Howe, who wore the same initials as him – MJF. As an ode to the great player, he kept Howe’s initials as his own.
3. He was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 1991 — While Michael kept his diagnosis private for 7 years, he eventually opened up about it and became a major advocate for Parkinson’s research. He founded The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research to help fund medical studies and accelerate the development of new treatments.
4. He had a cameo role in the show Spaced — It was only a short scene but Fox managed to make it into the cult classic British sitcom Spaced in 2000, playing himself as an actor shooting a commercial outside Tim’s flat.
5. His first Broadway appearance was at age 21— In 1983, Fox made his Broadway debut in Brighton Beach Memoirs and went on to appear in several other plays, including The Norman Conquests and Biloxi Blues.
6. He is a published author — Fox wrote three books in total, Lucky Man (2002), Always Looking Up (2009) and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future (2010). He also wrote an autobiography titled No Time Like the Future: An Optimist Considers Mortality.
7. He has his own book club— Launched in 2018, Michael’s Reading Room is a monthly subscription service that showcases his favorite books and encourages reading as a form of escape and education.
8. He’s won four Emmys — Despite his diagnosis with Parkinson’s disease, Michael kept acting and received numerous awards for his work, including four Primetime Emmy Awards.
9. He’s an avid photographer — Fox is passionate about photography and even has his own website which showcases some of his favorite works.
10. He’s been married to the same woman for over 30 years — The actor met actress Tracy Pollan on the set of Family Ties in 1985 and got married two years later. The couple have stayed together ever since and have four children together.
This list only scratches the surface when it comes to all the fascinating facts about Michael J. Fox. With a career spanning more than four decades, this beloved star continues to captivate audiences with his wit, charm and resilience.